Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Home made crayons

I don't know if you guys are like me but my kids have a big tin can full of broken crayons. They hate coloring with the little pieces. So what do you do with them? Well you can just throw them away or you can get crafty. I get crafty.

First I bought a metal tin that is used for making mini brownies. Then I gathered lose broken crayons from around the house. After that we got to work. We broke up all the crayons into small 1/4" pieces. Make sure to spray the metal cooking tin before you put the crayola pieces in. Next you pre heat your oven to 350 degrees. Place different color crayon pieces in to each slot of the pan or mix them all up together to make fun new colors. Put the pan into the oven for 10 minuets or until melted completely. Finally take them out of the oven and set them on the stove to cool and harden. Once cooled they should just pop right out of the pan. (unless you forgot to spray the pan.)
This is a super easy project that your little ones can help with. They will also love using their new creations to draw pictures with. These crayons are chunky and the perfect size for little hands.

This can be a great money saver for those of you that are on a tight budget. I know that every year I buy my kids a new box of crayons for school. Now we have a fun family project and can save money while we're at it.

No comments: